So.. I got a new computer at work the other day, and I looked for a list of things to remember when migrating settings from one laptop to another, I couldn’t find one so here’s mine. I’m moving from Vista to Vistax64 so not much to report.
- Firefox settings come across in their entirety using the lovely Mozbackup passwords, bookmarks, add-ons, plugins and the like. It’s all anyone can do until Weave is up and running again
- Custom.dic – copy Word’s list of all the words I’ve ever made up (really quite a lot – 3554 as of today) where’d I be without them?
- Autocorrect migration in Office 2007 – this tool lets you back up your autocorrect settings (I’ve got another 3400 of them), and restore them. It says it’s only for Word 2003 but works fine on 2007
- Move all these files .MP3 .jpg .pst
- OneNote files .one and .onepkg
- anything under :\Users\
I also installed :
- Fingerprint reader
- Windows live messenger
- Google Talk labs edition
- Wacom drivers – for my Bamboo tablet
- Linkedin toolbar
- Outsync (facebook profile pictures in Outlook)
I’m hoping next time I do this even more of this stuff will be in the cloud, especially autocorrect stuff, it’d be interesting to watch as people’s language evolves.